Join experienced tutor Cathy Hayward, in a 1.5 hour ONLINE LEARNING workshop online via Zoom.
In this workshop Cathy will demonstrate how to make a ceramic planter and base from start to finish, using our Pottery Starter kit, and a few basic household items.
This workshop is suitable for beginners, and anybody with a reliable internet connection.
Things you will need:
- Rolling pin or wine bottle.
- Knife– kitchen butter knife would suffice.
- Bag of clay– We suggest PS2000 terracotta, WEB or RHB.
- Needle tool- included in the clay kit.
- Sponge– included in the clay kit.
- Bucket of water.
- Cutting wire– Included in the clay kit.
- Modelling tool–included in clay kit.
- Rubber Kidney–included in the clay kit.
- Hole cutter
- Some newspaper or chux wipes.
- Plastic sheet or a plastic bag to wrap your work in.
- Two long square bits of wood that are the same size. (optional)
- You can work on a wooden board such as an old chopping board, or wooden table is ideal to work on. Avoid a sticky surface such as Laminex or glass as the clay will stick to this.
If you are worried about working on a nice surface, you can always lay down some canvas, calico or an old cotton sheet or table cloth.
Ahead of the class, make some joining slip
To do this, take a small chunk of clay, place it in a jar or container, add some water and if you have it, some white vinegar and give it a stir with your modelling tool. You have now made a basic SLIP which is used for joining. Madelaine will show you how to use this during the demonstration.
Participants will be sent a link to the zoom meeting a day prior to the class.